News Breeder International Press Releases Races Links
 

NZB Pleased With National Sale Results

Tuesday, 9 May 2017: Buyers from New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong, and Singapore were active with a total of $5,295,850 traded for 361 horses over the two-day Sale, resulting in a 83% overall clearance rate.

Domestic buyers accounted for 72% of the total spend, with the international buying bench contributing the remaining 28%.

At the close of the Weanling Session 232 horses were sold for receipts of $3,752,800 and the clearance rate remained strong throughout the Sale to finish at 87%.

The highest price paid during the Weanling Session was $175,000 for a son of Holy Roman Emperor (Danehill) out of placed mare Phocis (Encosta De Lago), a half-sister to South African Group Three-placed juvenile winner Newlands (High Chaparral).

Catalogued at Lot 217 from the draft of leading vendor Dan Myers, the colt was secured by leading purchaser of the Sale – Andrew Williams Bloodstock.

Williams also secured the second highest-priced Weanling at the Sale, spending $170,000 (Lot 30) for the first foal out of triple Listed winner Avisto (Tavistock), a colt by leading Australasian sire Savabeel.

Savabeel (Zabeel) claimed the title of leading Weanling sire (three or more sold) averaging $104,667 with three Lots sold. Followed by Tavistock (NZ) (Montjeu) with six sold at an average of $65,083, and Iffraaj (Zafonic) who recorded an average of $44,800 for five sold.

First season Weanling sires of note include Charm Spirit (Invincible Spirit) whose single Lot fetched $42,500, and Sacred Falls (NZ) (O’Reilly) who claimed the title of leading first season sire (three or more sold) with an average of $41,600 achieved for five Lots.

Andrew Seabrook, NZB Managing Director, was happy with the trading result.

“We’ve seen good interest from kiwi buyers and put that down to confidence in the domestic racing industry starting to build again off the back of recent NZRB stakes increase announcements and the revamped Sales format for Karaka 2018”.

“We look forward to many of these weanlings returning to Karaka in January to make the most of the extended Sale week and new-look catalogue structure” said Seabrook.

Feedback from international buyers has mirrored local sentiment at the Sale. Leading NSW trainer and ex-pat kiwi Chris Waller said the change is a “very smart idea and one that will certainly attract more interest from us on the racing and sales front”.

The Broodmare Session, held exclusively on the second day of the Sale, provided the ideal format for Australasian breeders to invest in quality broodmares in foal to popular stallions.

Lot 374 delivered the top broodmare price of the day. Offered by Windsor Park Stud, the four time winning Captain Rio (Pivotal) mare was sold to Ric Wylie Bloodstock for $87,500. A half-sister to Group winner Fully Fledged and dam of Listed winner Bassett, Fledgling carries a foal to Windsor Park’s multiple Group 1 champion sire Charm Spirit.

“I bought her for Australian clients. The price was fair but that was my last bid. Bassett is a serious racehorse, so she's doing the job right,” said Ric Wylie of the purchase.

Vendor representative Steve Till commented “Our client will be happy. The reserve was very realistic to help the sale along. The foal she is carrying could be quite valuable”.

The second highest-priced broodmare of the Sale came at Lot 384. On account of Matamata-based Millfield Stud, the mare Grandissima (Savabeel) is the dam of two named foals, both winners in the current season. In foal to Contributer (High Chaparral), the mare was knocked down to the successful $85,000 bid of Murray Hardy on behalf of The Sunlight Trust.

The Broodmare Session closed with receipts totaling $1,303,300 for 109 Lots sold (75% clearance).

The average price for the day settled at $11,957 and the median was just $500 shy of the 2016 figure at $4,000.

For all your upto date racing news - Racing and Sports

Coolmore Newsletter


 
  Myers flattered at sales
Another Giant Weekend For Galileo
Andrew Williams Steps Up At Karaka Sale
Kodiac Colt Tops At Tattersalls
Vanbrugh and Rageese Bound For New Zealand
NZB National Bloodstock Sale - Catalogue Updates
Syndicate Swoops On Kentucky Derby Contender
Six Up For Sea The Stars
NZB National Bloodstock Sale - Sires Preview
International Results Delight Arrowfield Stud
Travis Stakes Trifecta For Karaka Graduates
Tiznow Colt Sell For Ocala Sale Record
Strong Vendor List For Karaka National Sale
Windsor Park Stud Secures Turn Me Loose
Quality Mares Available At Karaka Sale
 
 

© 2006 Thorughbred-news.com. All Rights Reserved. Contact Us.
All other copyright, product names, or trademarks belong to their respective holders.